Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spaghetti Sauce for 18 or More

We're having a planning meeting after church tomorrow for a garage sale. We usually have pizza, but I'm tired of pizza and thought I could make some spaghetti that taste better and would be cheaper. So here's one from the new Phifer cookbook I'll make someday.
I took about a 1 & 1/2 lb of ground chuck and 1 lb of ground Italian sausage and browned it. Then I melted 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat in a large pot. Two onions were diced up and along with 8 oz of mushrooms were put into the pot and sauteed. Then 2 bell peppers and 2 cloves of garlic were diced up and put in the pot for about 2 minutes. The meat was combined with 2 tbsp of garlic powder, oregano, and basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Then I added some left over chicken broth, probably about 4 oz, along with 4 cans of 8 oz tomato sauce and 1 15 oz can because that was all I had. I had planned on using 4 cans of tomato paste but I didn't have time to go to store. I put in 1 tbsp of Splenda Sugar Blend and 1 pinch of cinnamon and I mean 1 pinch. You gotta be really careful with the cinnamon and the sugar.
The whole sauce was stirred constantly and brought to a boil and then simmered on low for about 4 hours. My daughter and her friend Joy cooked up some pasta and used the sauce and loved it.
When I got home from a men's event at the church I tasted it and was very pleased. I had some left over sauce I had made yesterday and mixed it with the new. It had pretty much everything but the garlic powder and the Italian sausage and the chicken broth. Oh yes it also had some left over Marinara sauce I had opened last week to make a sauce. It was good but needed the green peppers, garlic and other ingredients to be really good. I did this because I wasn't sure we had enough sauce for 18 or more people tomorrow. We probably do, but since I'm in a learning mode, I'd rather have to much than not enough. I also think letting it set over night will increase the flavor. I'll let you know how people like it tomorrow.
Hey this is sure a whole lot more fun than opening a jar of spaghetti sauce and browning some meat. And as far as I can tell my family likes the taste a lot better and I guarantee I do.

No comments: