Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday Monday

Monday, Monday, so good to me. I love Monday, it's my day off and I have more time for cooking. But this is always a special day for me, as it's the day after Resurrection Sunday or Easter as most call the day. I jokingly told my son who had some friends coming to Sunday service but couldn't make it, "if Jesus could rise from the dead surely we can get out of bed."

I'm still basking or basting, too use a cooking term, in the afterglow of the resurrection. Without the resurrection the cross is just a tragic defeat. But the resurrection vindicated the cross and the cross provided for our forgiveness. Well I'm getting a little preachy so forgive me; afterall I am a preacher.

Back to cooking. I'm using the leftover ham to make ham hash or ham and scalloped potatoes. I cut up a small onion and the left over ham, about 1 1/2 lbs. Then I melted 3 tbsp of butter on low heat and put 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and 3 tbsp of flower in with butter stirring continuously. After about a minute I put 2 & 1/2 cups of milk in with the mixture and kept stirring until it boiled for about a minute and removed it from the heat.

Next I took a 2 quart baking dish and greased it. Then I lined it with a layer of potatoes, onions, sauce and ham. I followed with 2 more layers of each item. The oven was preheated to 350 and I baked it covered for 30 minutes. I took it out and uncovered it and baked for another 50 minutes or until the potatoes were soft. It was great!

This may sound like a lot but in between I was doing other things. Mainly I was cleaning our pool. The house we bought came with a pool and I don't recommend one. They are a hassle but we have enjoyed it. Thank goodness we didn't pay for it to be installed although we pay for it in upkeep and electricity. Oh well, enough of the griping, at least I got outside on a beautiful day in Spring, Spring. No I didn't stutter, I live in Spring Texas and it's Spring, Ha!

No comments: