Monday, March 3, 2008

Successful Cooking Can Make You Happy

Everyone wants to be happy don't we? Happiness is based on 'happenings,' on circumstances that make us feel happy. There's nothing like a little success or a lot of small successes to make one happy. That's where cooking comes in for me. Since I'm such a novice, each little step is a success for me. By the time I'm finished cooking a simple recipe, my happiness quotient is way up there. Then when my family really enjoys it, it makes me even happier.
For me, cooking is a series of small successes I can accomplish, that I can make happen and have quite a bit of control over. And it's something I choose to do and people can succeed at things they want to do. Cooking allows me to focus on the small successes, make them happen one step at a time, and celebrate as often as I can.
Cooking may not do it for you. It does for me because of the personal satisfaction I gain. Then there's the side benefit of enjoying good tasting food. Finally, the benefit of enjoying cooking home meals with my family and eating to together.
This is a healthy recipe for life. Find something personally satisfying, easy to do and start seeing those little successes mount up. Cook up a hobby you enjoy personally and you can enjoy with your family. See if your happiness quotient doesn't go up.
Here's a little example of what I'm talking about. The past 2 days I've been making 3 egg omelets. I started by sauteing some onions and mushrooms. Then I added some chopped up deli ham we had left over. After I stirred it a minute I added the 3 scrambled eggs.
While this was cooking my wife and daughter were asking what smelled so good. With my spatula I gently pulled the egg mixture to one side so more of the egg liquid could cook. I learned this from watching breakfast cooks at hotel restaurants making omelets. Before, I'd put the egg mixture in first then add the onions, mushrooms, ham and cheese. This was always good, but I want you to know, sauteing first is far better.
When most of the egg mixture is done I turn the eggs. Then I add some cheese and fold the egg mixture over. After a moment I slide it onto a plate. The heat from the eggs melts the cheese. Give it a try.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sauteing Gemüse und Eier, das sollten köstlich sein!

Hamburg