Monday, March 10, 2008

3 P's For Cooking Success

We all want our cooking experience and taste to be successful. There are 3 things we can do, what I call the 3 P's of cooking success. They are passion, planning and perseverance. Over the next several posts let's discuss these. If you think about it, these 3 matter for life for that matter.
Let me get a little technical for a moment as we talk about passion. Passion is a strong or extravagant enthusiasm or compelling emotion for a subject. It often relates to lively interest and action in a cause, activity or love. For our family cooking is an activity we are passionate about.
For me personally passion means: staying the course, keeping my values and convictions without rancor to others and holding others in true respect even when we differ. I want to communicate persuasively, listen intently, honor others convictions while being free to differ and doing it all with charity. As Augustine said, "In the essentials unity, in the non-essentials liberty, but in all things charity.
Enough of the technical stuff. Passion in cooking means for me preparing and serving food in style and with plenty of love and care. It means taking time and making an effort to find good recipes and ingredients as well as good cookware. This last one is something I've been realizing more and more lately. Finally, it's about family and friends, doing things that express my love for them.
Remember what Jesus said, "love your neighbor as yourself." I find when I put Jesus and others first, I benefit the most. It may sound selfish, but it's not because it only works if you truly put Jesus and others first.
At our church our vision statement is "Passion for Jesus, Compassion for Others is a Compass for You (JOY)." The word compassion encompasses all 3 aspects: passion, compassion and compass. Passion in life, even in something as everyday as cooking brings joy to everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!! AWESOME! I liked how you tied It all in with Jesus! That was the best part! GOOD BLOGiN DAD!
Love ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharon512 said...

Well George,
I think you have really found your niche!! I love it. It is totally "you". I felt like I was having a conversation with you in our family room after we'd eaten a wonderful meal! I enjoy your musings and philosophical thoughts and lessons of life. I don't think my comment will get you any money, but I will visit this again if I can get into the blog.
I must run now and have not read but around 6 or 7, but what I read was really good and fun.
I am reminded how much this whole cooking thing is in your roots, your precious mother and dad.
BTW - I really liked the whole "letting the meat rest" idea.

PS: When are you cooking for us? Are Phifer Burgers on the menu? Mmmm, the best!