Saturday, March 1, 2008

Cooking Up A Hobby

Recently I've noticed that many of the things I used to do to get away from it all weren't working for me. Things like fishing, travel, bowling, golf, gardening, sports and the like are hobbies I couldn't find the time for much. I still do a lot of reading but that's work related most of the time because I love reading theology. I still do the other things occassionally, but not enough for a good break for emotional health and I haven't been watching my emotional health lately. So by default, I've found myself watching more and more TV, which I'm not happy about.
That's where cooking comes in for me; it's like a hobby. A hobby is something you get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from. You do it on a regular basis outside of your job. It's also a way to spend time off productively. Since I love to eat, have always enjoyed cooking, was bored with eating out and I realized a personal need; cooking seemed a natural for me.
I love the planning, preparation, the cooking and especially the eating. But I also enjoy learning new things, finding good recipes, rubs for grilling and finding out about all the new gadgets. I've learned to google things which is fairly new for me. I find this far more fun and productive than watching TV. This gives me a sense of being more productive with my time which is a great way to improve mental health.

1 comment:

Roy "Mulliganjones" Darden said...

Great Bloggin, George!! Now, most of us that were born and raised in the South recognize cooking (and of course, eating) as not only tradition, but also an art. When we Southeners cook, however, it is mostly to honor and impress our friends. To cook and serve a meal that has taken some time is a way of showing our friends or family how much we appreciate them. Of course we have to eat it too!! Ahhh, the downside to cooking!! Here's to your blogsite and the "fun-ness" of your hobby!!