Saturday, March 8, 2008

Portobello Pizzaz

It's been pizza night at the Phifer's for the last year or two; because we work so late it makes cooking hard. Since we look forward to pizza now, but we're trying to tighten up our budget, I had to cook something up. I remembered this portobello pizza recipe from my low carb diet and since I'm watching carbs I decided to try it. I'll call it Piz zaz Pizza and it really was, really.
First I took 6 portobello mushrooms and wiped them off with a wet paper towel. Then I chop up half a white onion, cut 4 tomato slices, opened a small can of black olives, and got out some left over basil pesto. Remember I used it to cook Pesto Chicken.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Brush the mushrooms with olive oil on both sides. In a large skillet heat 1 TBSP of olive oil and brown mushrooms on both sides. Place the mushrooms on paper towels. Squeeze some pizza sauce (I used Boboli, but it's pretty high in carbs) on the mushrooms. Cover with pesto, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices (you can get them in the pizza section). Add some onions and black olives and top with a pinch or two of oregano and black pepper depending on your taste. Then sprinkle with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese (none of that cheap stuff).
Now I know you're thinking only 4 tomato slices and you're about to tell me 6 right, right. Well I only sliced 4 because my daughter Abi, only likes cheese pizza. So I put a little sauce, a lot of mozzarella and sprinkled Parmesan on 2 for her. Just thought you got me, ha.
Now spray a baking pan and place the pizzas on it and bake for 10 minutes. Mmm Mmm good, let me tell you. Hey this was quick and easy. I betcha we were eating within 45 minutes of getting home, maybe less. It would have taken us that long to order and run up to the pizza place and back. But oh my goodness was this so much better.
Now if you were really watching you're carbs, leave off the pizza sauce and just use the pesto. There's about 4.5 carbs per mushroom. For a variation use hamburger, ground sausage, Canadian bacon, ham or make it vegetarian. My family loved it and that's the true test.
Listen, I can't tell you how wonderful this meal was. After a hard week and a long day on Friday you'd think the last thing I'd want to do is cook a home meal. But you know, take out pizza gets old and boring after awhile.
As soon as I left work; I left work, if you know what I mean jelly bean. On the drive home I was telling Charlcie about how we were gonna cook the pizza instead of talking about this or that at the office. Since we both work there it's hard not too. But this really helps get our minds off of all of that.
We hit the door at home with expectation. We didn't have a clue if it would turn out good or not, but that wasn't the point. We could always order pizza or get a burger if it wasn't good. The point was the fun and joy of trying something new. Anticipation refreshes your energy and expectation of something new and good elevates your mood. Instead of worrying, or fussing about this or that at the office which only makes you feel more exhausted, you start the weekend on a happy note. And on that note I'll end this blog today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are soooo funny. I loved the pizza blog. And it truly was the best pizza ever. And to know you're eating healthily makes it even more better. I do love my cook. Love ya, Charlcie