Friday, April 4, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake

I needed a diet dessert for our potluck last night since I'm trying to eat healthy. I knew there would be lots of temptations and that would help. I found this low carb, low cal muffin mix for strawberry shortcake.

You take 2 cups of almond flour (I found it in the specialty food section at Kroger). Then add 2 tsps baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and mix it all together. In another bowl mix 1 stick of melted butter, 4 eggs, 1/3 cup of water and about 1/3 cup of spenda. Pour this mixture into the first one and stir well. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees, place mixture in muffin tin ( about 2/3 full) and bake for 15 minutes. I'd check it after about 12.

Next cut the tops out of the strawberries and wash. Then slice them and cover with a little spenda and refrigerate. When the muffins are done and cooled put one in a bowl and cover with 1/12 of strawberries and add a little cool whip. The muffin has about 1.5 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber and about 185 calories.

This was very good and you could add blueberries or apricots to the mix for an alternative. The mix is a little grainy, but everyone liked it. I think I may experiment and try and mix the almond flour with some regular flour and maybe something else low carb. I'll let you know.

No comments: