Thursday, February 21, 2008

What About Knives

Cooking can teach us many lessons in life. One of the lessons my mom and dad taught me was to have good tools. Since I've starting cooking, my family has begun to accumulate quality cooking accessories. Right off the bat I realized I needed some good knives.

There are 3 knives that will make cooking easier. A chef's knife is the most important knife in cooking. If you had to have just one knife, this would be it. Use it for slicing, dicing, mincing and chopping. Next is a paring knife. It's smaller and ideal for pealing and tedious jobs like deveining shrimp. Then you'll want a good bread knife, which is a type of serrated knife. These are great for cutting bread and other foods, like bread with a hard/soft makeup. These 3 knives will make cooking a lot less like work.

Did you hear why the 2 knives went to the dance? Becasue they both looked sharp. There's nothing like a bad joke to make a point about a good quality tool, like a knife in cooking, to make you look sharp. When I first got a good chef's knife, it was amazing how dicing and slicing all began to come back to me. My family thought I was amazing, but it was the training and the knife that made me look sharp. So stay sharp, the knife too.

Life is a lot like that. Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of a his friend." As we share together we sharpen each other in thought and character. We also rub off on each other wearing off the rough edges. This takes work, forgiveness and effort but the benefit is worth it. Choose friends who sharpen you in good ways, not cutting you to pieces.

No comments: