Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pesto Pesto Pesto Chicken

I love pesto because it keeps cooking simple. I make my own pesto on Saturdays because it'll keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. In a food processor or blender puree 1&1/4 cups chopped basil; 1/3 cup chicken stock, 2TB pine nuts; 2TB parmesean cheese; and 3TB olive oil.

If you didn't make the pesto ahead, I like to use about 1/3 cup of commercial pesto. Cook 8 ounces of Penne pasta according to package directions. While it cooks cut 1.25 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning, a teaspoon of salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray to medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently. I like it to brown a little. Drain your pasta and add pesto and chicken and toss; Pesto, like magic, you're home cooking. It should make about 5 1 cup servings.

This is so much fun to make and it's so simple. It should only take you about 20 to 30 minutes to cook it up. I like to make extra pesto while I'm at it, or you can use the extra commercial pesto to put on sandwiches or make a dip with parmesean.

No comments: