Monday, February 25, 2008

Ham Bone Soup

Recently Charlcie and I were in Charlseton SC and we had a great time. The food there is great and I especially enjoyed the corn chowder and sea crab soup. So this got me to thinking about soup. It's still cool enough in Houston for some good soups and I had a ham bone in the freezer from Christmas I needed to use. I decided to make a ham bone soup which I've never done before. We had these growing up and alot of times we used the ham bone in navy beans, but I was hungry for soup. Here's what you need.


  1. 1 ham bone with 1 lb of meat

  2. 2 cups fresh chopped tomato

  3. 1/2 head of cabbage

  4. 1/2 cup carrots chopped

  5. 1/2 cup celery chopped

  6. 10 oz can of lima beans

  7. 1 cup of frozen whole kernal corn

  8. 2 chopped onions

  9. 2 quarts of chicken broth and 1 quart of water

  10. Salt to taste

  11. 1/4 tsp black pepper

  12. 2 quartered baking potatoes

  13. Dash of cayenne pepper optional

In a large pot simmer ham bone in water and chicken broth, remove and cut off meat. Remove half the broth and freeze for future use in soups, green beans or navy beans. Place the meat back into broth along with carrots, celery and potatoes; simmer a minimum of 30 minutes. Add the remaining veggies and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for an hour and half. Add pepper, salt to taste and serve.



Oh my, the smell will warm your innards and the soup will too. This turned out so good that I will be making more and making various variations. This is my own recipe that I arrived at from remembering what my mom did and looking at some other recipes. That's part of the fun of it and seeing your loved ones lap it up helps too.

No comments: